Temperatures plummet, fire department reminds people to warm up cars outside

As the forecast turns frigid, people sometimes get the keys in the ignition of their vehicles well before leaving home. However, the effort to increase the temperature in the car, could be dangerous, even deadly. (File)

As temperatures drop to frigid levels, people get the keys in their ignition of their cars before leaving home in hopes of heating the engine. However, this practice could be more dangerous than one thinks.

Captain Irving Garbison with the Fulton Fire Department said people should avoid starting and heating their cars inside the garage completely. He said it is not even a good idea to warm up your car in the garage with the door open.

"Don't warm it up in an attached garage, or in a garage as far as that goes, because it could fill up with CO," Garbison said. "CO is odorless, and it's very poisonous, very toxic."

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CO - carbon monoxide - is found in fumes produced anytime fuel is burned in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges or furnaces.

Garbison said it is important to ensure CO detectors have full batteries.

He said it's best to start up the car in the driveway out in the open.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off