Firefighters deem Boone County house fire a 'total loss'


    <p>The Boone County Fire Protection District reported Sunday a family in Columbia lost everything in a house fire. (Photo Courtesy of Heather Calvert){/p}

    The Boone County Fire Protection District reported Sunday a family in Columbia lost everything in a house fire.

    Assistant Fire Chief for the Boone County Fire Protection District Gale Blomenkamp said firefighters were called to the home at the intersection of East Calvert Hill Road and East Boatman Hill Road around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday to find the home completely consumed by smoke. Firefighters and emergency vehicles shut down the road while they worked to take out the blaze.

    Blomenkamp said the fire started on the outside of the home.

    "It did spread from that shed to that rear bedroom window where the daughter was sleeping and actually woke up and found fire around her window," he said.

    The entire family of five, including three middle-aged children, all made it out safely, but a pet belonging to the family did not make it.

    "There was one cat that was found deceased in the back bedroom in the bathroom from smoke inhalation and so crews were able to remove that pet for the family and have since turned it over to the family," said Blomenkamp.

    After firefighters took out the fire, they determined that the house could not be saved.

    "Unfortunately the home is going to be a total loss as far as the contents of everything inside. We had heavy fire involvement and heavy heat and smoke damage throughout the entire structure," Blomenkamp said.

    Family members told KRCG13 those living in the home were too distraught to speak, but said friends of the family set up a Go Fund Me account to help them rebuild.


    News In Photos

      Loading ...