This is a note to our six combatants still in the running to win a fabulous prize in our Sweet 16 Second Chance Challenge.
Ladies and Gentleman,
When I say "gentleMAN," I mean it. Of the six still in the hunt to win one of the two grand prizes in our Sweet 16 Second Chance Challenge, there are five females, one male. (According to the emails addresses, at least).
But Jason G. is holding up his gender's banner with pride, as he is in the lead with 13 points heading into the Final Four --- and he could still score another 11 points.
Below is the breakdown for the six finalists (out of 122 entries, by the way), including the points scored through the Elite Eight, the semifinal winners, the national champion, and the total points possible for the entire tournament:
Jason G. --- 13, Louisville-Syracuse, Louisville ... 24.
Marisa D. --- 11, Louisville-Syracuse, Louisville ... 22.
Sarah F. --- 9, Louisville-Michigan, Louisville ... 20.
Jackie P. --- 10, Michigan State (OUT)-Michigan, Michigan ... 18.
Vicki G. --- 10, Duke (OUT)-Michigan, Michigan ...18.
JoDe B. --- 7, Wichita State-Miami, Fla. (OUT), Wichita State ... 15.
As you can tell, there are still a lot of possibilities left --- five of the six can still finish first. Even JoDe, if everything falls her way --- she was the only person to pick Wichita State to win it all --- could still finish first. The best Marisa can do is finish second but, as you know, second place in this venture is as good as first.
As a reminder, there are not one, but two fabulous prizes to the top-two finishers.
* A three-day, two-night stay for two at The Country Club Hotel and Spa, plus a $50 gift card to their restaurant.
* A three-day, two-night stay for two at Old Kinderhook, plus a $50 gift card to their restaurant.
Both are in the Lake of the Ozarks, and both prizes are based on availability.
The first-place finisher gets his/her choice; the second receives the other prize. So in this case, second place is just as good as first, as these are both wonderful, first-class venues. Both are as good as it gets.
A BIG thank you to both Jen at Old Kinderhook and Lance at The Country Club for making this possible.
A few interesting notes about this competition:
* No less than 53 entrants had Louisville winning it all, but 50 of those can't make a move on Jason, Marisa or Sarah.
* Indiana --- eliminated in the Sweet 16 --- was the second-favorite pick (18).
* Next in line were Kansas (13) --- pardon me if I shed no tears for you :o) --- Florida (8), and Miami and Duke (6).
* As was mentioned above, only JoDe picked Wichita State to cut down the nets in Atlanta --- while two picked Florida Gulf Coast to win it all. No one picked Syracuse.
Good luck to our remaining six combatants, and thanks to all of you for taking part in this Second Chance Challenge!
Sadly, for you other 116 folks out of the running, there is no Third Chance.