Trespasser puts school in brief lockdown

School officials and police confirm St. Joseph Cathedral School went into lockdown mode on Wednesday.

Principal Spencer Allen said the school went into lockdown because of a man who trespassed on to school property. The incident happened at about 11 a.m.

Allen said the man came to the school before upset about the Catholic faith. Allen said the man continued to contact him and returned to the school Wednesday.

The principal put the school in lockdown. An official with the Diocese said students didn TMt know much about what was going on because the threat was minimal.

Jefferson City Police Department spokesman Cpt. Doug Shoemaker said officers quickly arrived at the school and arrested the man on trespassing charges without incident.

Shoemaker said the man did not have any weapons.

Allen sent a message to parents of students. You can read his message describing the situation below.

"Dear parents, We went into lockdown procedures today, and I am writing to let you know about this. First, let me assure you that your children were safe through the entire process. An individual had come to our school several weeks before to argue about the Catholic faith, expressing his concern that we should not be teaching it to the students. He did not present himself in an alarming or threatening manner. He also went to other area schools and churches. That same day, he was asked not to return to one of these churches, and returned anyway. He was arrested on trespassing charges. We immediately informed him he was not to come onto to our property. He then attempted to contact me personally by e-mail and phone several times, at work and home. He was informed that he needed to cease all conversation with me at work or home. He returned today. Though he was not perceived to be a threat, the police were immediately called and the classes put into lockdown mode to make sure the students were safe, as he had ignored instructions not to return to our grounds. He could not get access to either wing as the magnetic locks were engaged. The police responded very quickly and resolved the issue. Please let me know if you have specific questions."-Spencer Allen