Holidays bring pet dangers

The Farnen family reserved a little corner of their kitchen for their puppy Stewie to save him from Christmas time perils.

The holidays are a busy time for us and our pets.

Itâ??s also the time of year when we can easily miss some potential dangers to our 4-legged friends.

Stewie is a one-a-half-year-old purebred Scottish terrier with a lot of energy. The Farnen family reserved a little corner of their kitchen for their puppy to save him from Christmas time perils.

Pet owner Mark Farnen said, â??When thereâ??s a lot of activity around the house you need to have a place where your pup can retreat and get away from all of the action. Otherwise, they will be going everywhere.â??

Stewieâ??s nickname is Chewy Stewie. Thatâ??s why the Farnens keep electric cords out of reach and a baby gate to keep Stewie out of trouble.

Farnen said, â??During the Christmas season, we set up a gate so when we are away from the house or when we are in another part of the house, this gate keeps him away from that tree, the presents and the ornaments adorning the tree this year.â??

The recent ice storm is also causing problems for dogs like Stewie. Ice covered grass can cause serious accidents. Farnen always wipes Stewieâ??s paws after a walk to remove salt and other chemicals from treated streets. Veterinarian Beth Hussey said just like street salt holiday food scraps can cause stomach problems for dogs. Chocolates, nuts and raisins can be fatal.

Dr. Hussey said, â??If you leave out chocolate cookies for Santa, remember chocolate is toxic to dogs in a dose dependent manner. A small dog would not need to eat very much chocolate to show signs.â??

Hussey said poinsettias, Christmas tree pine needles and mistletoe can also make your dog sick, but itâ??s very rare that these plants cause death.

When opening Christmas presents, make sure you keep ribbons and bows away from your curious companions so they donâ??t chew or swallow them.