Funeral planned for couple allegedly shot by son

File Image

Update: Friday, July 9 at 11:43 a.m.

Funeral services for Rachel and Jaeson Duncan have been scheduled.

Visitation will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., with services at 1 p.m., on Saturday at the Faith Tabernacle Church near Iberia.

See Jaeson and Rachel's obituaries

Update: Thursday, July 8 at 6:39 p.m.

Gloria Hopkins calls herself Rachael Duncan's best friend. She lives about 100 feet away from Rachael and Jaeson Duncan and will dearly miss them.

"When I walk out my front door, on to my front porch, I can see Rachael's front door from mine and I can't handle that, Hopkins said.

Just three days after the Duncan's were gunned down in their home, neighbors are still in shock, especially after learning the couple TMs son is the suspect.

"It TMs gonna take time to bounce back from this, it TMs gonna be on the media, it TMs gonna be on magazines for quite some time, Hopkins said. In my opinion, I think a lot of people should just leave it alone and just let the family rest in peace and let the family deal with it the best they can.

Hopkins said that she also upset with, what she considers are "hurtful rumors" about the family. A number of neighbors said there were reports of abuse in the home. But the Department of Family Services couldn't comment citing privacy laws.

"There are a lot of people saying that Jaeson Duncan would abuse the kids and I've known them for years and I've never seen no abuse ever since I've known them, never not once, Hopkins said.

Tammy Walden with the Juvenile Court System said they will look into the allegations of abuse as they investigate the case.

Family members and authorities were still going through the mobile home Thursday afternoon.

Authorities said the 12-year-old suspect will remain at the juvenile detention center in Camdenton until a certification hearing.

Update: Wednesday, July 7 at 3:15 p.m.

A detention hearing is scheduled for Thursday for the 12 year-old boy accused of murdering his mother and stepfather.

Camdenton Chief Juvenile Officer Tammy L. Walden said the detention hearing for the juvenile will either be the first or last hearing on the docket Thursday. The hearing is held to determine where the boy will stay during the trial process.

A psychologist has also worked with the boy to make sure he was not suicidal. Walden said the boy seems to be doing okay.

The boy is being held at the Camden County Juvenile Justice Detention Center in Camdenton.

Walden said the boy's extended family has visited him in the detention center. His siblings are staying with the extended family members.

As for allegations of abuse in the home, neither Walden nor the Missouri Department of Social Services would comment if their agencies have been called to the home or investigated family members.

Update: Wednesday, July 7 at 11:55 a.m.

Autopsies on the bodies of Rachael and Jaeson Duncan have been completed.

Results have been turned over to the Miller County TMs Sheriff TMs Department.

The juvenile will have to go through a certification hearing before prosecutors can formally charge him with a crime. A petition has been filed to charge the juvenile with first degree murder.

During the certification hearing, a judge will weigh the nature of the crime, the juvenile TMs motive and if the state has facilities to treat the juvenile.

Update: Tuesday, July 6 at 10:00 p.m.

Neighbors are still in shock after the incident that took place Monday evening at the Palace Lane Estates mobile home park.

"I keep saying it was like an episode out of Cops, neighbor Esperanza Garner said. You know, you see all the cop cars coming and you can hear them saying, this is so and so, we're coming in. They're trying to make him stay out, because he was on the phone. Yeah, it was too real."

"Why he would do something like this? It's his parents, neighbor and friend Rhonda Veverka said. Even if my parents, like even I never cared much for my stepmother, but I always felt like I would pull out my hair when I really got mad at her. But I'd never kill her."

Police are not talking about the crime.

Update: Tuesday, July 6 at 7:04 p.m.

With little information available from authorities investigating the murder of Rachael and Jaeson Duncan, neighbors said that they are surprised that anything like this would come from the 12-year-old boy who lived next door.

According to neighbors, the 12-year-old told police someone came in and shot his mom and step-dad.

Neighbors also said police quickly sensed something was not right with the story.

Next door neighbor Michael Lasiteo said that he was told one of the boys took a pillow case with multiple guns and hid it under a nearby trailer.

"I guess a bunch of kids were playing around and found them, the police went up there and got them," Lasiteo said.

Garner said that earlier Monday night the boy went to a friend TMs house begging to stay with them because he was being abused.

He went down there and asked if he could stay there, they said ~no. TM Garner said. He came back home and that's whenever it happened. I guess he got the guns and shot his step dad at first, and then his mom tried to stop him and or tried to come at him also to protect herself and then he shot her too."

Neighbors said the 12-year-old suspect is a nice boy and well liked around the neighborhood. They said he mowed some of the neighbors TM yards, and loved playing with his dogs.

"He took pride in his dogs you know he liked his dogs, he liked showing his dogs off and stuff like that and he was real interested in possibly getting a motorcycle," Garner said.

Neighbors said there were five children that lived in the home; however, the other four were not home during the shooting.

Update: Tuesday, July 6 at 4:44 p.m.

The Camden County Chief Juvenile Officer Tammy Walden said in a statement that a petition has been filed to certify the 12-year-old boy as an adult and charge him with two counts of first degree murder.

See Camden County's Juvenile Officer's media release here

Miller County Sheriff Bill Abbott said in a statement that a 12-year-old is being held in custody and that the case is an ongoing investigation by the Miller County Sheriff TMs Office and the Miller County Coroner.

See the Miller County Sheriff's media release

Update: Tuesday, July 6 at 1:55 p.m.

Neighbors said that there were fireworks going off around the trailer court and that they didn TMt hear the gun shots.

Neighbors also said that the juvenile supposedly shot the step-father in the living then went to the bedroom, where his mother was sleeping, and shot her there.

According to the the juvenile is being held in secure detention and awaites a detention hearing.

Original Story:

Miller County Sheriff TMs Department has arrested a 12-year-old boy who is suspected of shooting and killing his parents Monday night.

Police were called to Palace Lane Estates mobile home park in the small town of Kaiser, Mo. around 11:50 p.m.

According to neighbors, the juvenile called his grandmother, who lived in town, then called 911 to report the shooting of his mother and step-father. The two had multiple gunshot wounds.

Neighbors also said five other children lived in the home, but were not present during the shooting.

The boy lived at the home full-time and attended the School of the Osage.

The bodies are in Columbia at the Boone County Medical Examiner TMs office for an autopsy.

Related Stories: Double homicide Authorities Investigate Double Murder in Miller Co