Cyber Monday brings deep online discounts
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 04:40:31 GMT —
Fresh off the heals of Black Friday retailers are now looking towards Cyber Monday.
"It's one of our busiest online days of the year for online sales," said Benjamin Cox with Columbia's Best Buy.
For all those who didn't wait in line or prefer the comfort of your living room, the Monday after Thanksgiving is one of the busiest online shopping days of the year.
Coined in 2005 by the retail industry, Cyber Monday is considered to be the kickoff to the online shopping season, with many retailers offering big discounts.
"For those people who didn't want to venture out over the weekend," said Cox. "We're gonna offer really great specials."
Almost 100 million people are expected to go online shopping Monday. This year more customers seem to be using their computers to shop. Online Black Friday sales jumped 35 percent over last year, as cyber shoppers turned to the Internet.
At Best Buy in Columbia, extra staff is being brought in to deal with Web orders. This year's big in-store items are also big online, including laptops, cameras and TVs.
"We've got a 50-inch Panasonic television, a plasma, that normally retails for about $1000," said Cox. "We've got over a $200 savings on that."
Online Best Buy is knocking $100 off laptops and some GPS devices.
Best Buy.com, Staples.com, and Amazon.com are all starting Cyber Monday a day early, stretching it into a two-day event. With many stores offering big bargains and advertising early, experts predict Cyber Monday will see strong online sales that could top last year's.
Here are a few good deals we found:
- Staples.com has a 26-inch TV and DVD player combo for $350, down from $500.
- Amazon.com is knocking $100 off a 32-inch TV and taking 75 percent off some DVDs (a $40 Blu-ray James Bond movie is now $10).
- Walmart.com has a 32-inch Sony LCD HDTV for $400.
- BestBuy.com is knocking $100 off laptops and some GPS devices.
There are a number of Web sites, like CyberMonday.com, that can help navigate Cyber Monday. Consumer experts say it's best to shop around and price compare before you buy.
Many stores are also offering free shipping to attract online shoppers. Here's what we found out:
- BestBuy.com is offering free shipping for anything over $25.
- Amazon.com is offering free shipping on select items over $25.
- Staples.com is offering free shipping on anything over $50.