66
      Friday
      82 / 66
      Saturday
      83 / 64
      Sunday
      86 / 65

      Woman died from inhaling sewer gas

      An autopsy has determined that a 44-year-old Kansas City woman died in March from inhaling sewer gas, and that drug use and another health problem contributed to the death.

      An autopsy has determined that a 44-year-old Kansas City woman died in March from inhaling sewer gas, and that drug use and another health problem contributed to the death.

      The Kansas City Star reported that the Jackson County medical examiner's office ruled recently that Bernice Weaver's death was an accident from "hydrogen sulfide intoxication." Hydrogen sulfide is commonly known as sewer gas and is produced from the decay of organic material. When high levels of sewer gas are inhaled , the gas starves the victim's cells of oxygen, similar to carbon monoxide.

      The autopsy results noted that methamphetamine abuse and asthma were also contributing factors in Weaver's death.

      The results said Weaver was found underneath a sink and had apparently used a powerful drain cleaner to unclog a pipe.