Update: Surviving shooting victim released from hospital

Josh Maylee in court on Friday

Update: Monday Nov. 1 at 8:05 a.m.:

The only surviving shooting victim from last week's triple homicide has been released from the hospital.

University Hospital confirmed Gina Werdehausen has been discharged, but they would not say when it happened or where she was discharged to.

Police said Gina, along with her husband, was shot in her home last Tuesday night.

Original Story:

Shackled and heavily guarded, Josh Maylee appeared before Callaway County Associate Circuit Judge Carol England.

Maylee faces three counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of Eugene Pinet, Jackie Pinet, and Jeffrey Werdehausen. He also faces one count of first-degree assault for allegedly wounding Gina Werdehausen.

Maylee asked England for representation by a public defender.

England told Maylee he could fill out an application for a public defender and then all parties will meet for a counsel status hearing on Nov. 19.

"In the meantime, and I don't know if you have any funds with which to seek an attorney but, if you do, maybe someone can start doin' that for ya, England told Maylee.

Cooper County deputies arrested Maylee Thursday afternoon after he walked up to a home off Highway 179 and revealed himself.

Asked if Maylee intended to turn himself in, Mid-Missouri Major Case Squad Sgt. Robert Bruchsaler wasn't sure. I don't know why he did what he did, Bruchsaler said.

Maylee is being held at the Callaway County Jail without bond.

Investigators say Maylee targeted his victims over fallout from past dealings. Even though court documents indicate Maylee had stored stolen property at the Pinet home, authorities will not explain how the victims and the alleged gunman were connected.

Callaway County Prosecutor Bob Sterner said he is still looking into the case and has not yet decided whether to pursue the maximum punishment. "Any prosecutor's gonna have to look at the facts and look at the aggravating circumstances, Sterner said. And some months down the road, we will be making the decision about whether we'll be seeking the death penalty or not.

Werdehausen family members in were in court for the proceeding and spoke briefly with reporters afterward. They said Gina Werdehausen is doing well at University Hospital, where she is recovering from a bullet wound in her neck.