The American Heart Association and St. Mary TMs are teaming up for a community CPR event.
Hands-only CPR will be introduced at locations throughout Jefferson City February 24.
Organizers of the Hands on Hearts event hope to teach at least 500 area residents the new method which focuses exclusively on chest compressions without the traditional mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.
"CPR has been seen as something that people were scared of whether it be because of the mouth-to-mouth or because they thought they were going to miss a step, and therefore make the situation worse instead of better," American Heart Association corporate events director Becki Collier said. That's not the case anymore. It TMs only two steps, that anybody can do, call 911 and start compressions. It TMs compressions in the center of the chest, hard and fast. It TMs important to just get the message out there, that people can actually understand that they can save a life."
Event instructors will include clinicians and community leaders who've been trained in the hands only method.
There will be five public training site locations.
- Firley YMCA, 525 Ellis Blvd., front lobby, 6-8 a.m. and 5-8 p.m.
- Truman Building, 301 W. High St., second floor atrium, 10 a.m.- 2p.m.
- Central Bank Financial Building, 111 E. Miller St., third floor, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- HyVee, 3721 W. Truman Blvd., upstairs club room 3-7 p.m.
- Gerbes Super Store, 2101 Schotthill Woods Dr., front lobby area, 3-7 p.m.