Residents cleaning up, moving out after fire

Norman Schiltz cleans out his apartment after a fire ruined it Saturday night.

Residents of the Eldon apartment complex destroyed by fire Saturday night are cleaning up what is left of their former homes.

Norman Schiltz, who lived in a ground-floor apartment with his son Jason, said the fire started in one of the upstairs apartments.

The fire then spread through the floor, igniting the insulation between the ceilings and walls, Schiltz said.

While residents were able to salvage some bare necessities, Schiltz says the apartments are uninhabitable.

"We have salvaged some things in the kitchen, bathroom, but for all intents and purposes the building itself is probably of no value," he said.

13-year-old Jason said he was scared when the fire started, and ran immediately to find his dad and get out. He lost most of his possessions in the fire.

Schiltz said he's been wanting to move within the Eldon city limits for a while, but the fire has moved the process along more quickly than he anticipated.

He also said that he's heard that everyone is okay, although one neighbor was taken to the hospital to be treated for burns.

The Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter is helping out the fire victims, including Schiltz and Jason.