88
      Monday
      89 / 68
      Tuesday
      90 / 68
      Wednesday
      90 / 68

      One homeless after house fire in Boone County

      A housefire in Boone County south of Columbia has left one woman homeless.

      According to the Boone County Fire Protection District, they responded to a fire at 8703 Tom Bass Road off of Route 63. Along with the Southern Boone County Fire Protection District, they quickly discovered the one story home was engulfed in flames.

      Fire Chief Scott Olsen said a woman was home at the time the fire began before 7 p.m. Wednesday night. According to fire investigators, the woman said she was in the basement when she heard crackling and popping sounds.

      When she went outside to investigate, she discovered one side of her house completely engulfed in flames.

      It took 30 firefighters about 30 minutes to get the blaze under control, according to the fire chief.

      Chief Olsen also said that the woman was extremely lucky. Aside from singeing her hair in the fire, she escaped uninjured.

      The fire department said the home is a total loss. Olsen said there were a number of factors that compounded the difficulties his department faced in fighting the fire.

      "We're out here in an area that's dark and where people aren't around," Olsen said. "It's kind of off the road a little bit, so there are many reasons why it wouldn't have been seen initially by the people driving down Route 63."

      Olsen said the fire is not suspicious, although they are still unsure of a what caused it.