72
      Saturday
      86 / 70
      Sunday
      87 / 69
      Monday
      87 / 70

      No batteries in smoke detectors in fatal fire


      CAMERON, Mo. (AP) -- Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in a northwest Missouri home where a father and his two young children died earlier this month.


      The Kansas City Star reports investigators found smoke detectors in the kitchen, dining room and a bedroom at the home in Cameron, but none of them had batteries.


      Police were called to the home on Aug. 17 and found the bodies of 36-year-old Robert Borchardt, 9-year-old Chelsey Borchardt and 7-year-old Tucker Borchardt were found.


      Emergency responders found no fire at the home, but there was a smoke-like odor suggesting there had been a fire.


      Investigators believe the fire started in the kitchen area. Police say all evidence points to an accidental fire.


      ------

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER