New kid's fire safety CD features local family's tragedy
Wed, 09 Dec 2009 21:49:21 GMT — Dozens of Jefferson City school children gathered at the State Capitol Wednesday to hear a message of fire prevention and safety.
Wednesday, Dec. 9 was proclaimed "Fire Facts Day" by Gov. Nixon's office, as FireFacts.org officials kick off their nationwide initiative right here in the Show-Me State.
First Alert, which makes smoke detectors, and Farmers Insurance have teamed up with Fire Facts to give interactive CDs out to schools and Farmers Insurance Offices free of charge.
State fire officials said the effort comes just in time.
"As we know, in our economic situation, many departments are suffering from budget challenges and typically the first programs that go are fire prevention education programs," said Missouri State Fire Marshal Randy Cole.
The CD features Firefighter Bill, who himself visited schools across mid-Missouri to share his fire message with kids first-hand.
Wednesday's events also featured a special guest: Elizabeth Nix from Holts Summit.
Her three children: Trevor, Chanse, and Gracie died in an April 17 house fire in Holts Summit.
Elizabeth has lent her story to the new Fire Facts CD so parents and kids can learn from her tragedy. Her children are also featured as cartoon characters along with Firefighter Bill on the new CD.
"What we're hoping is that her story will really cause a parent that listens to it to say, you know what, its time I go right now down to the hardware store, down to the grocery store, and buy some new batteries, get a smoke detector," said Fire Facts Creator Brad Ballard.
Elizabeth said she had not checked the smoke detectors in her home before that deadly fire.
"I know they did not go off," said Nix. "I don't know if they didn't go off because the batteries weren't good or if they were taken off. I really don't know. Its not something that I ever thought about."
Elizabeth also said she never realized how important fire escape ladders might be.
"With my kids, their bedrooms were on the upper level and not having the ladders and stuff, even had they woken up, I don't know that they would have had any way to get our because the front door wasn't available," said Nix.To learn more about Fire Facts and their educational tools, follow the link below.