New details on double murder suspect

A Jefferson City murder victim sought a court order to protect her from the man accused in her death.

Court records show Angela Gilpin sought an order of protection against David Hosier just a couple of weeks before her death, but the papers were never served.

In her petition for an ex parte order of protection, Angie Gilpin described David Hosier as an ex-lover who would not accept her desire to break off the relationship...

"It was very tumultuous, Jefferson City Police Department Capt. Mike Smith said. She did not want a relationship with Mr. Hosier.

Just four days before Gilpin's death, judge Jon Beetem dismissed the case for the ex parte order.

"I don't think Judge Beetem handled the case any differently than any judge in this circuit would have handled it, Capt. Smith said.

Judge Richard Callahan reviewed the process. Gilpin filed the petition for the court order Sept. 15. Beetem scheduled a hearing on the matter for the 24th. Deputies went to hosier's apartment on west main to serve the papers.

"Any order the court would issue doesn't become effective until it is served on the defendant, Callahan said.

Deputies were told Hosier had been evicted and had moved out of state. That's the message they gave to Judge Beetem.

With that information, it would not be unusual to dismiss the case without prejudice because the person no longer represents a threat,Beetem said.

Without prejudice meaning Gilpin could re-file if Hosier showed up in Jefferson City again. There is no reason to believe hosier knew anything about the ex parte request. And if murder was in his heart, Callahan said there is no reason to assume a court order would have made any difference.

"A piece of paper is never gonna protect somebody from serious harm, Callahan said.

David Hosier is still in jail in Oklahoma.

Jefferson City detectives today traveled to Tahlequa, Okla. to search his car and found a number of weapons

Cole county prosecutor Mark Richardson this afternoon charged Hosier with first degree murder, armed criminal action, burglary, and possession of a firearm by a felon.

The fugitive also faces federal prosecution as a convicted felon in possession of ammunition.

It is still not clear how quickly he will be returned to central Missouri.