78
      Friday
      84 / 66
      Saturday
      84 / 64
      Sunday
      86 / 65

      Mo. fire officials urge caution in heating

      Fire officials are urging Missourians to be careful when using space heaters and fireplaces to heat their homes.

      The state fire marshal's office says flammable objections should be kept at least 3 feet away from portable space heaters, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves and furnaces. Portable heaters should be turned off when leaving a room or going to bed.

      Ovens should never be used to heat a house, and people should not burn in their fireplaces Christmas tree branches, treated wood or wrapping paper.

      The advice comes as Missouri was confronting cold and wind Monday. The National Fire Protection Association says space heaters account for about one-third of home heating fires and 80 percent of home heating fire deaths each year.