Infant found dead in drug users' home

A nine-month-old child was found blue and not breathing in Holts Summit. Police arrested two adults, who admitted to using methamphetamines.

Updated, Friday, June 20 at 7:15 a.m.:

Megan Ayers and Bryan Sartor are expected to be in court Friday.

The couple is scheduled to be arraigned in Callaway County court at 1:30 p.m.

Updated, Thursday, June 21 at 5:20 p.m.:

Megan Ayers, 31, and Bryan Sartor, 23, have both been charged with endangering the welfare of a child, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.

A report from Holts Summit police reveals that personnel from the Medical Examiner's Office told investigators the infant's stomach appeared bloated and the skin had a green tint -- signs of decomposition, indicating that the child may have been dead for some time.

Original story:

A nine-month-old child was found "beyond any help" on Wednesday morning. A caller said the infant was blue and not breathing.

Emergency crews responded to a residence on South Summit Drive just after 11:00 a.m. Wednesday.

The infant was found dead in a playpen-type enclosure inside the home by Callaway County Ambulance District and the Holts Summit Fire Protection District crews.

The Medical Examinerâ??s Office was then contacted. Personnel from the office went to the scene to investigate the death, and an autopsy is pending.

Holts Summit Police Department investigators questioned two adults at the residence, who said they put the child to bed sometime between 10:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Tuesday. When they checked on the child at 11:05 a.m. Wednesday, the infant was lying on his back, not breathing, and was blue.

Both adults later admitted to using methamphetamines on Tuesday. Investigators took several needles, a baggy with a white powdery substance, a baggy with a brown powdery substance and other items from the residence. The items were sent to the state crime lab for testing.

The two adults were taken into custody and are being held in the Callaway County Jail, pending formal charges. Their names have not been released.

The remaining child in the residence was placed into protective custody by workers from Missouri Social Services, Children's Division.

The original story incorrectly identified the two-year-old as deceased. The caller had told the 911 dispatcher that the two-year-old was found unresponsive.