"I did not want the world to think that these terrorists had won"
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 02:49:15 GMT —
As the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings approaches, a Jefferson City man prepares to make a return trip to Boston for his fifth marathon.
"This year will be much more meaningful because when I turn onto Boylston Street and I see that finish line I'll think about what happened last year," Dana Frese said.
"We're honoring those people that were killed right at that finish line."
Two pressure cooker bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Maraton on April 15, 2013. Three people were killed, 260 others were injured.
Frese had finished running the race about an hour before the explosions. He, his wife and his son were back at their hotel, about a tenth of a mile from the scene, when the bombs went off.
"We definitely heard the explosion and we could look outside our hotel room window and see the smoke and people running around...trying to figure out what happened," Frese said.
Boone County resident Jennifer Clark told KRCG 13 Monday she qualified to run the Boston Marathon before the bombings, but the event solidified her commitment to participate in this year's run.
"Gonna show that as Americans we're not afraid when people do stuff like this," Clark said.
"We're gonna go ahead and show our support for the people who were injured. And certainly Boston bounced back from it and I'll support it with my presence."
Neither Clark nor Frese said they were worried about security at the marathon, although there are new regulations for what both participants and spectators can bring along.
Rather, they are focusing on the now-famous motto: "Boston Strong."
"This is a sacred event. This is the oldest and most prestigious marathon in the world," Frese said.
"I did not want the world to think that these terrorists had won."
This year's Boston Marathon will take place on April 21 with heightened security measures.