76
      Sunday
      93 / 72
      Monday
      86 / 70
      Tuesday
      84 / 67

      Hot ashes spark deck fire in Columbia

      Hot ashes started a deck fire Sunday night in the 4400 block of Brown station Road in Columbia.

      Hot ashes from a barbeque grill are to blame for late Sunday night fire in Columbia.

      The Columbia Fire Department was called to the 3200-block of Elm Grove just before 11 p.m. When crews arrived the deck and an outside wall on the back of the home were on fire. A press release said the fire was put out quickly and the inside of the home was not damaged. No one was home at the time of the fire.

      Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn McCollom investigated the fire and determined hot embers from a barbeque grill that had just been used earlier in the evening caused the fire.The residents had been burning charcoal briquettes in a gas grill and the hot ash had escaped from the bottom of the grill.

      McCollom released a preliminary damage estimate of $5,000. There were no reported injuries.