89
      Tuesday
      91 / 70
      Wednesday
      91 / 69
      Thursday
      92 / 69

      Fire injures contractor, destroys home

      Investigators said the contractor was using an acetone based floor stripper on a bathroom floor when a spark accidentally ignited the chemical.

      An unidentified contractor suffered burns while an accidental fire destroyed a home in Northern Boone County.

      The burn victim was transported to a Columbia hospital in a private vehicle so authorities have no word on his name or condition.

      Boone County firefighters said the home on Highway YY was 50% engulfed in flames when they arrived so they went into a defensive fire attack.

      Firefighters had the flames under control in about 15 minutes yesterday about 4 p.m.

      Investigators said the contractor was using an acetone based floor stripper on a bathroom floor when a spark accidentally ignited the chemical.

      Boone County firefighter Gale Blomenkamp said, ??They were working in a bathroom. There could have been some acetone build up in a hidden space or within that bathroom. Unfortunately, a spark came from somewhere. We??re not sure where that spark came from. We believe that is what has happened.??

      The owners of the home told authorities that the contractor was wearing shorts when he suffered burns to his arms and upper and lower body.

      Investigators said the home is a total loss but have yet to come up with a dollar amount of damage.