Fire destroys Boone County home

The roof of the home was almost completely collapsed.

A fire destroyed a Boone County home Tuesday afternoon.

Crews were alerted to the fire at about 3:15 p.m. They arrived at 7875 La Porte Ave. about eight minutes later and requested extra help. Eight units responded to the fire.

One person was inside the home when the fire began. She refused medical treatment at the scene.

By 5:20 p.m., the fire was mostly contained. Investigators said the fire started in the kitchen, where the woman had been frying chicken.

The damage was valued at $170,000. A dog that lived at the residence died in the fire.