67
      Sunday
      88 / 66
      Monday
      89 / 67
      Tuesday
      90 / 67

      Fire destroys barn in Boone County

      A fire in Boone County destroyed a barn, then spread to the grass

      A fire destroyed a barn in Boone County Tuesday afternoon.

      Boone County fire crews responded to an area on Barnes Road just after noon after receiving reports of a structure fire.

      They arrived to find a barn on fire and flames spreading to the home.

      Firefighters managed to stop the fire before it did much damage to the home and worked to put out a small grass fire that also started.

      The barn was destroyed, but the family can still live in the home because the damage to it was only minimal.

      Fire crews say the fire started from hot ashes and coals the family used in a fire last night that were not properly extinguished.

      The Boone County Fire District says when disposing of hot coals, it is best to put them in water to prevent a fire from starting.