82 / 55
      68 / 45
      71 / 50

      Dryer fire causes $5500 in damage

      Firefighters respond to a laundromat fire Friday night.

      A fire at a Columbia 24-hour laundromat resulted in $5,500 in damage Friday night.

      The Columbia Fire Department responded to a call around 10:30 p.m. to Robinson's Cleaners and Laundromat at 21 Conley Road.

      A 911 caller reported that one of the dryers had caught fire.

      When firefighters arrived on the scene they found heavy smoke throughout the business.

      Firefighters used a portable extinguisher and a single hose line to put out the fire.

      Two adults and four children were at the laundromat at the time of the fire. They were all outside when the fire department arrived.

      Columbia Assistant Fire Marshal Lt. Lisa Todd investigated the fire and determined the dryer overheated and ignited a load of bath towels.

      Damage to the dryer and structure is estimated at $5500.

      No one was injured.