73 / 55
      78 / 57
      79 / 60

      Dishwasher fire damages Columbia home

      A dishwasher is being blamed for a Sunday morning fire in Columbia.

      The Columbia Fire Department was called to 1000 Bourn Avenue at 9:19 a.m. and arrived at the scene five minutes later.

      Upon arrival crews saw smoke coming from the kitchen windows.

      Crews were able to contain the fire in about five minutes. They used large fans to air out smoke from the home.

      Damage is estimated at $10,000.

      The home had working smoke detectors. Both occupants and all pets were able to get out safely.