MENU

      Columbia man wakes up to clothing on fire

      A Columbia man is ok after waking up this morning to find his blankets and sleeve on fire.Firefighters were working for at least 30 minutes to put out the flames that ultimately took over and destroyed much of his mobile home, at the Rustic Meadows Trailer Park at 3406 Rangeline, just north of Blue Ridge.Thomas Bower livies in lot 9. He says he woke up around 2:30 a.m. to see his blankets and coat sleeve on fire. He got out of the home safely, but his trailer was engulfed in fire.Firefighters say the man was reading by the light of a candle and that's what started the fire.Bower has no utilities in his home and no smoke alarms.Eric Hartman with the Columbia Fire Department said , a shed attached to an adjoining trailer was also damaged.Crews didn't leave the scene until at 4:30 a.m.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER