Co-worker takes stand in Plunkett trial

Day three of testimony is underway in the trial for the woman accused of murdering her husband on New Yearâ??s Day 2011.

Wednesdayâ??s testimony follows a day in which the court heard taped interviews between police and Sandra Plunkett after her husband was killed.

Thursday, the state called Sarah Hunt, which worked as a nurses aide with Sandra at St. Maryâ??s, to testify.

Hunt told the court she and Sandra and their respective spouses became friends.

Sandra told Sarah about her substance abuse and financial issues. Sarah said Sandra told her how the couple had taken out a mortgage on their home and rental property and maxed out their credit cards.

Sarah also testified she knew Sandra was using heroin.

She also testified Sandra spent the night at Sarahâ??s the night of the murder and stayed with her the next day and night. While Sandra was there, Sarah testified someone had written on the utilities door next to Sarah's apartment door "you're next."

She said it was not there before Sandra got there.

In a taped interview with police heard Wednesday, Sandra Plunkett admitted to police she was the person who shot her husband, Paul, a retired Jefferson City police officer.

When an officer asked her during the interview why she shot him, she stated â??he begged me to.â??

The interviewing officer asked Plunkett asked how she knew the gun was loaded before she shot her husband, and she said he loaded it for her. She also admitted dumping the gun along a county road. She would eventually lead investigators to it.

During the interview when she admitted shooting her husband, Plunkett said she shot him about 9:30 a.m., went to the gas station, and then to a friends house to do heroin.

In other testimony Wednesday, an investigator testified the first 911 call came in at 12:49 p.m. the day Paul Plunkett, a retired Jefferson City police officer, was shot.

The investigator testified the first officers responded four minutes later.

When the first officer arrived, a neighbor was standing outside, but reported seeing no gunman and hearing no commotion.

Plunkett had told authorities she saw a gunman in camouflage clothing walking around the neighborhood.

In Wednesdayâ??s testimony, the investigator said if Sandra had gone to buy cigarettes and visit a friend the day of the shooting at the time she initially said, the times would not have matched up with her 911 call to police.

The investigator also said in court, Sandra tried to pawn a rifle a week before her husbandâ??s murder, but they couldnâ??t find it after the shooting.

The state claims Sandra Plunkett killed her husband with a .22 caliber rifle while he was laying in a hospital bed in the couple's living room.

The prosecution stated Sandra Plunkett had a heroin addiction that ate up all of the couple's funds by 2010, and her husband had a $100,000 life insurance policy that could have been a possible motive for the murder.

19 days before the murder, the couple filed a medical malpractice claim for a botched surgery that kept Paul Plunkett bedridden.

That claim was estimated to be worth $3 million.

Tuesday, the state called 2 witnesses, the 911 joint dispatcher, and the Holts Summit police officer who was the first responder to the scene of the murder, who stated Sandra Plunkett was fidgety and washed her hands while in his presence.

The defense's opening remarks stated that Paul Plunkett was abusive and always carried a gun.

The defense claimed Paul was jealous and Sandra was scared to leave him.

The defense claims Plunkett shot her husband during an argument because he rolled to grab a gun, and she got to one before he could shoot her.

The defense admitted Sandra lied to authorities because Paul was friends with them.

During the first interview, Plunkett described her marriage as pretty normal and that she and her husband were "best buddies," who were going to quit smoking together.