82
      Sunday
      88 / 66
      Monday
      89 / 67
      Tuesday
      90 / 68

      Check your home for "the silent killer"

      Checking and changing batteries in your home's smoke detectors isn't the only thing you may need to do in order to stay safe.

      Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that has no odor and no color. It is highly toxic and undetectable to the human senses.

      People without carbon monoxide detectors in their homes are especially at risk of becoming disoriented and becoming unable to call for help or leave their home in time.

      According to the National Fire Safety Council, carbon monoxide poisoning can happen anywhere, whether it's inside your home, in a garage, or inside your car, boat, or RV.

      Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can resemble the common cold or the flu (without body ache or fever), making it difficult for some to detect.

      CO poisoning is especially bad for infants and children; the elderly; smokers; people with respiratory problems; and people with compromised immune systems.

      Having and maintaining several carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home can help mitigate this potentially deadly problem and greatly reduce your risk of encountering it.

      Carbon monoxide can kill in as little as 10 minutes.

      The National Fire Safety Council recommends placing detectors on every level of your home near where you sleep, in your garage, and on boats and RVs.

      If you are concerned about replacing two sets of batteries, many hardware stores now sell combination CO detectors/smoke alarms.