17-year old shot in Columbia

Update: Tuesday, March 13 at 11:05 p.m.:

There was a heavy police presence Tuesday evening at a candlelight vigil for Deaudre Johnson.

About 300 people came out to pay their respects.

After the vigil the crowd spent the rest of the evening along the street and in the apartment complexes parking lot.

People we talked to said the violence in Columbia is out of control and there isn't anything police can do about it.

They told us, they think residents are going to start taking matters into their own hands.

Update: Tuesday, March 13 at 11:05 a.m.:

The gunshot victim from Monday night's shooting has died.

Columbia Police said 17-year-old Deaudre Orlando Johnson, of Columbia, died at the hospital around 8:30 this morning.

Johnson had a gunshot wound to the upper body during an incident that occurred last night around 8:23 p.m. near Trinity Place and Switzler Street.

Updated: Tuesday, March 13 at 9:20 a.m.

Columbia police arrested the man they believe shot a 17-year-old in Columbia Monday night.

Anthony T. Graves, 19, was arrested after officers and investigators received cooperation from witnesses who gave suspect information, suspect name and the suspect vehicle description of a white Buick.

Police found Graves and his car in the 1000-block of Jefferson Street and taken into custody.

A witness to the shooting told investigators it happened because of an ongoing dispute between Graves and the victim.

Graves is charged with 2nd degree murder and armed criminal action.

Original Story:

A teenager is in the hospital this morning after being shot Monday night in Columbia.

Columbia police said at about 8:30 p.m. Monday night they received a call of shots fired at a Columbia Housing Authority Complex off of Trinity and Switzler streets.

When police got there, they found a 17-year-old male behind 205 Providence Walkway with a gunshot wound to his upper body.

He was taken to University Hospital with life threatening injuries.

As of right police have no suspects in the shooting.

Police told KRCG earlier Monday evening they had to break up a large fight about a block from where the shooing took place.

They're unsure if the two incidents are related.